Tuesday, January 19, 2010

***My review on the positive image*** contemporary photography.....Lets talk photo's!!







Congratulations to all the winners!!!!! For more detailed information about them please visit http://www.unionstreetgallery.org/. Now lets talk ART!! Photography!! First of all I wana mention how lately i've been noticing this form of artwork increasing in acceptance in galleries all over the map!! from the MCA in chicago to USG in chicago heights, photography is poppin up more an more often. A chewy chip ahoy will be given to whoever comments on why this is so..haha jk i dnt like to share my cookies!!
I heard a comment by a lady in the art show, that is worth discussin.." I can take pictures of this- whats so special"-lady at art show.. OK, so this lady brings up a great point..in this day of age its prob safe to say that almost everyone i know takes pictures!! So then are we all artist and we should all have shows?? this question also ties in with the ever so popular first day of art class question.." what is art?"..ok ok ok So I can talk about this for days, but once im done..you'll say mr. ispeakart guy..ur full of bull mierda.. So to cover my butt everything I talk about can be also read about in an article titled "Art and significant Form" by Clive bell ( i reccomend getting a dictionary if u choose to read this article). This is a great article to read about art and what makes some artform better than others.
Heres my opinion..First there is such a thing as bad art..there is even a name for it KITSCH.. I feel much better now that i got that outta my chest..Kitsch kitsch..ok, All art is subjective to the viewer. I understand but there are principles that an artist may tell you about his/her art that makes u "feel" the artwork. Even so, the artist tells you this thru their art. Composition, balance, subject matter, colors, values, size, etc, etc, etc.. The artist needs to provoke your emotions, he needs to make u feel the art. Ask yourselves questions like..how does this art make me feel?..why do i feel this way? am i wasting my time? Do i understand this?.. Did i learn from this?..do i even need to care?..etc.. Break the art piece limb from limb and understand it, then make a judgement of quality.
So to answer the question are people that take pictures artist?..maybe, to a certain degree yes, but there is defenitely a difference between the quality of the artist and the art. Yours pic may be kitsch and ur next door neighbors are not :) hope i didnt bust ur bubble..
At the USG show there was in my opinion a good level of quality art. Every art piece goes thru a screening before allowed to be displayed at the show.. I saw pieces of subject matters that i didnt care for, I saw art work that made me think and feel, some art was nice some werent so nice but its def worth checking out! The show is still up so go and see and experience the art and let it provoke emotions onto you. And let yourself be the judge! Show ends feb 26, so u have time!! no excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment